Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Acid Thrower






















This is a series of paintings, or drawings, or collages, I did when I was in my first year of grad school. The were collected into a book that I handmade. I called it The Acid Thrower. It's about a race car driver who has a compulsion to throw acid on people, while naked. There are vignettes here in which the Acid Thrower throws acid on different characters including a lion tamer, a demon summoned by nude, Satan-worshiping, Upper West Side yuppies (like those in Rosemary's Baby), a shiek's harem member, among others. He's finally defeated when he comes across a being who feeds off the acid the Acid Thrower tries to cast upon him. The story is supposed to take place on a makeshift stage and backdrop. The Acid Thrower is intended to exist within the world with the makeshift stage, but the characters he interacts with are intended to be set pieces, or cut-out props. The images to the story here are incomplete. There's about half-a-dozen others in the collection. It was a weird time for me and some of the weirder work I've created. I was certainly seeking something regarding a way of working formally that felt comfortable but included many techniques that intrigued me.

No comments: